Sign up today! TREA publishes a monthly newsletter including volunteer opportunities, news and upcoming events. Please enter your email below:
Pre-order your rain barrel for pick up on May 16th, 2015 at Grosvenor Lodge at a discounted price of $65.00. Same day purchases are $70. Don’t forget we also sell Compost bins as well to complete your sustainable backyard living system. Simply e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to pre-order today!
What is a Rain Barrel?
A rain barrel is a system used by a homeowner to collect and store rainwater from the roof of a home to be used at a later time. The water harvested is soft, fresh water that can be used for a variety of purposes, including lawn and garden watering, topping off pools, and washing cars.
Rain Harvesting as Water Waste Reduction
Rainwater harvesting helps to divert rain from storm drains, decrease the impact of runoff to streams, and minimize sewer overflows during heavy rainfalls. By storing rainwater, homeowners use less water from the faucet, conserving both water and energy in the home as well as the energy needed for water facilities to treat the water that would have been consumed. According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, lawn and garden watering make up nearly 40% of domestic water usage during peak summer months. Rain barrels save most homeowners about 1,300 gallons of water each summer, reducing the demand for clean water. Rainwater harvesting helps homeowners to reduce their water bills while conserving water and protecting the environment.
Rain Water for Healthy Plants
There are three main reasons why rainwater is preferred by plants.
- Rainwater is 100% soft water. Free of the salts, minerals, and chemicals that are found in municipal treated water, groundwater, and surface water, rainwater is pure hydration. Salts and chemicals build up in your soil over time and these residues are tough on plants. This effect is exaggerated in potted plants where the accumulation is more pronounced.
- Rainwater is slightly acidic—naturally!Green gardeners know that most organically grown plants prefer soil that is slight acidic, specifically pH levels between 5.5 and 6.5. This is on the acidic side of the neutral pH 7.
- Stored rainwater contains some organic matter.If collected from your rooftop, rainwater contains traces of organic material. While the water is very clean and should run clear, it has been exposed to anything on your roof. We’re not talking about chunks (these get pre-filtered out on their way into properly-designed rain barrels)–we’re just talking about contact exposure to leaf litter, pollen, bird droppings and the like (which perhaps not surprisingly are great for your plants). It’s like a light application of fertilizer every time you water!
Choosing your Barrel Location
Choose a location below a downspout. The location should be:
- Firm ground
- Paving stones can be used to provide extra base stability
- Avoid locations near ground-level basement windows or window wells
- Easy to access
Uses for Rainwater
Your harvested rainwater can be used for a wide range of purposes, including but not limited to:
- House plant watering
- Garden watering
- Refilling pools
- Washing cars
- Washing outdoor furniture
- Washing pets
- Reducing water consumption
FreeGARDEN Rain Barrel
Committed to environmental sustainability, Enviro World provides cost effective, high quality environmental containers to homeowners and residents, and expertly designed and supported waste diversion programs and green initiatives to municipalities and governments. Our product is Canadian-made with 100% recycled plastic.
The FreeGarden™ Rain Compost Bin has many features that make
it the composting tool of choice:
- 55 gallon/208 litre rain barrel
- insect resistant stainless steel screen
- higher spigot accommodates most watering cans
- easy multi-barrel installations
- as many as 3 barrels fit in the back of a regular sedan
- 3 additional spigot mounting locations
- childproof lid and stable footprint
- square shape ideal for flush-to-wall and corner installations
- 34”h x 24”w x 24”d
- saves most homeowners 1,300 gallons of water each summer
- helps restore soil to ideal pH levels
- conserves water, protects the environment, and lowers water bills
- Warranted against main body and lid manufacturing defects for 5 years